Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Arson by Estevan Vega


Publication Date: May 4, 2010

ARC Source: Traveling ARC Tours

Summary:

ARSON GABLE FEELS LIKE A FREAK. HE CAN CREATE FIRE. HE NEVER ASKED FOR IT. HE NEVER WANTED IT. BUT HE CAN'T SHUT IT OFF.


Before now, three things were true: he both loved and despised his grandmother; his life was going nowhere; and he was alone. But when a strange girl-who feels more normal behind a mask than inside her own skin-moves in next door, Arson hopes to find something he's never had: purpose. Using what he fears the most about himself, Arson must face his consuming past and confront the nightmare that is present as he walks the fine line between boy and monster.

My Two Cents:

Okay first I just want to say "WOW". I'm worried that my review won't even do this book any justice. It's written so beautifully...yet so twisted and dark. I love it. I'm a lover of the weird and unusual.

First let's talk about Arson character. He can create fire. I felt so sorry for him in the beginning with his crazy grandmother, his sucky job and this curse that makes him feel like a freak. It was just freaking depressing! Then here comes Emery who makes me want to give her a huge hug. When I first picked up this book I thought it was Arson on the cover. I never would have guessed a female character would be wearing that. She feels more comfortable in this Jason mask than she does in her own skin. She has so much spunk and she's so strong but extremely sensitive when it comes to Arson. Her love for him is beyond words. The mask  makes her seem rough around the edges at first, but eventually we see that she's just a girly girl with real feelings like the rest of us. Them two together make such a weird but deep relationship. Ever since that day, years ago, he stopped using his power for fear of being called a freak or the devil but when Emery's in danger he doesn't hesitate to set things off! Now that's what I call true love lol.

This could easily cross over to Adult mystery/thriller. I definitely would not call this your everyday YA book. The adults in this book have a voice that is so clear. I love that this entire book wasn't about Arson and his ability to create fire. It had a real plot. Real issues were here, especially surrounding the adults. Excellent character development. For the first time in a while I read a book where I felt like I really KNEW these characters. Vega takes us into their private thoughts which is all a piece of a puzzle. Is it possible to make a mystery/thriller/paranormal/romance all in one book?? YES! I wouldn't believe it myself but it's been done and I was literally on the edge of my seat the whole time. I honestly cannot wait for the sequel. Don't go through summer without picking this one up! This book is definitely a shelf keeper (if only I had the space).

Rating:

3 comments:

  1. Awesome review! I definitely want to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, I agree with everything you said! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Wild story. Thanks for sharing!!

    Bill ;-)

    Hope you'll check out my book giveaway:
    http://drbillsbookbazaar.blogspot.com/2010/04/book-giveaway-moonlight-falls.html
    http://thehomeplaceseries.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I truly appreciate your comments!