Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Teenage Garage Sale with Cindy Pon




Let's give a nice welcome to our guest Cindy Pon, author of The Silver Phoenix and Fury of the Phoenix. Today she's going to tell us the kinds of things we'd find in a garage sale of things from her teen years.  


I was a teen from the mid 80's through the early 90's. Here are some
items of interest that you'd find at my teen garage sale:

1. Two or three barbie dolls: I kept them in a cupboard as I was (and
still am) quite afraid of dolls. Yes, they will come alive at night
and Kill You!!

2. Apple IIe: My dad bought this in the early 80's and I loved playing
computer games on it, including The Bard's Tale (a dungeon and dragons
type of game) and Taipan. My brother also somehow got a strip poker
game and the nekkid girl was green (as was all the graphics on an
Apple IIe).

3. Madonna tapes: I loved Madonna. I still do love Madonna--though I'm
a bigger fan of her earlier songs.

4. A cassette tape radio: I used to record songs I liked from the
radio onto this. The worst was when the DJ would talk into your song
time.

5. Guess Jeans: These were hand me down skinny jeans from my older
sister. Guess was fancy!

6. Sweet Valley High books: I had about 40 of them. Then I think I got bored.

7. Encyclopedia Britannica: My dad spent a lot of money on these sets
of encyclopedias. We had no internet back then and I actually remember
using these to do homework and research.

.


About Cindy:


Cindy Pon was born in Taipei, Taiwan, and her family immigrated to California in 1980, settling in the suburbs of Los Angeles. She began writing stories before she was officially declared English proficient. She received her bachelor's from the University of California, San Diego, and also earned a master's from New York University. The author is a student of Chinese brush painting, and her love for the art is reflected in her storytelling. Cindy Pon lives with her husband and two small children in San Diego, California.












1 comment:

  1. Cute feature! Haha, I still like Guess, and DJs talking into songs would definitely irk me. I've heard great things about The Silver Pheonix but have yet to check it out... thanks for the reminder! ;)

    ReplyDelete

I truly appreciate your comments!