Saturday, February 19, 2011

Kindred by Tammar Stein

 Publication Date: February 8, 2011
Summary from Goodreads:

Miriam is an unassuming college freshman stuck on campus after her spring break plans fall through. She's not a religious girl--when pressed she admits reluctantly to believing in a higher power. Truth be told, she's about as comfortable speaking about her faith as she is about her love life, which is to say, not at all.

Then the archangel Raphael pays Miriam a visit, and she finds herself on a desperate mission to save two of her contemporaries. To top it all off, her twin brother, Mo, has also had a visitation, but from the opposite end of the good-evil spectrum, which leaves Miriam to wonder--has she been blessed and her brother cursed or
vice versa? And what is the real purpose behind her mission?

 My Two Cents:

The first thing I read when I have a book I know nothing about is the back cover. Well I read the back summary for this one and saw questions. Usually by the time I finish reading a book, I know the answer to those questions. Not in this one. I still have those same questions. 

Miriam is approached by Raphael and is given a mission to save two people. Well she kinda sucks at it. Suddenly she begins to have bowel movements frequently and is getting pretty sick. By the end of the book I have no idea what's the deal with her health. Is she suddenly cured? Is she going to die?

This was also very religious and filled with scriptures that didn't even help her complete her missions. Another issue I had was I figured Raphael would be a big part of his book but nope.  Miriam's love interest was pretty much the only thing that made a bit of sense, except how she met him. Normally she's pretty quiet and innocent. With him she suddenly becomes a sex kitten that's flirty and oozing sexuality. Strange. Miriam's brother Mo is another mystery to me. So apparently he's working for "the other side" but what happens with that?? I have no idea. He's staying out late, he has money but no job. I still don't know how.     

It just seemed like the author just decided that the book should just end so all of the issues we'd been reading about will suddenly be swept underneath a rug never to be spoken of again. I like to feel some sense of closure when I close a book. This actually confused me even more. This was definitely not the best "angel" book I've read. It was jumpy and felt unfinished.

 Rating:





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly appreciate your comments!