Monday, February 21, 2011

This or That with Cris Beam

Let's give a HUGE welcome to Cris Beam who is the author of I am J! I must say that this is one of my most anticipated books for this year so I'm excited to have her. Today she's doing what is called This or That. Here goes:  

Apples or Bananas


Bananas, definitely. They’re just funny by nature. Nothing funny about an apple.  

The Spa or the Gym


If I could afford it, I’d say the spa. That’s like asking “chocolate or wheat germ.” The gym is just a necessary evil.  

Historical fiction or Paranormal

Historical fiction, for sure! Real life is spooky enough.  

Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt


Um, I guess Brad Pitt, because he gets to be with Angelina. And Tom Cruise is into Scientology, which is pretty paranormal if you ask me.  

Pink or Purple


Pink!   

Vintage or Modern


Both. Preferably together.  

MAC or PC


Mac all the way. I’ve been an apple junkie from the beginning. Like I said in #1, apples aren’t funny, but they make a mean computer.  

Fast Food or Home Cooked

Home-cooked, quickly.  

Superhero or Villain


Superhero, with villainous streaks. Actually, they’re often the same character just plopped in different circumstances.  

Lady Gaga or Madonna


This one’s tough; I love them both. Madonna’s an icon, and Gaga’s still becoming, but they both break boundaries for the mainstream in really important ways.  

Hot Dogs or Hamburgers

Hamburgers. I live in New York, where the hot dogs kind of freak me out.  (LOL I agree!)

Harry Potter or Percy Jackson

Harry Potter, though it’s about time for a female protagonist to come from a lineage of wizards or gods!  

Dogs or Cats

Ouch. I have both, adore both. Water or air? You need both to survive.  

Skinny Jeans or Sweats


Sweats, I guess. Skinny jeans: not-so-cute on the not-so-skinny. I vote for hoop skirts! 

Coffee or Tea

Coffee! Preferably a latte in a slightly chipped bowl next to a good book with the afternoon sun streaming in. 


 About Cris:

Cris Beam is an author and professor in New York City. She is the author of Transparent, a nonfiction book that covers seven years in the lives of four transgender teenagers, which won the Lambda Literary Award for best transgender book in 2008, and was a Stonewall Honor book. Her young adult novel, I am J, was released by Little, Brown in March 2011, and a nonfiction book about the state of foster care in the U.S. will be released by Houghton Mifflin-Harcourt in 2012. She teaches creative writing at Columbia University, New York University, The New School, and Bayview Women’s Correctional Facility. She has an MFA in creative nonfiction from Columbia University.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly appreciate your comments!